Angus weaner steers and heifers carry on their dominance of the January weaner sales with strong demand from local and interstate buyers pushing prices well and truly in the favour of excited vendors
Weaner sales in WA’s Boyanup last week were extremely encouraging with only 1 pen of steers not hitting 300c/kg.
RA Miaolo & Son, Coolup sold the largest offering with their first pen of 10 Angus weighing 386kg making 308c/kg or $1189/head and the same buyer paying 320c/kg or $1085/head for another 11 Angus weighing 339kg.
Southwest Pastoral had an exceptional offering with 10 Angus calves, 376kg selling for 318c/kg or $1197/head and a further two Angus lines for $326c/kg and 330c/kg or $1144/head and $1153/head respectively.
The Landmark Mt Barker Special Angus weaner sale offered up a quality yarding of 1425 weaners selling to a top of $1326/head.
The top price went to 15 Angus steers averaging 449kg making 295c/kg or $1326/head offered by Rayview Park, Manypeaks
The top price for Angus heifers went to RA & MA Wright, Kojonup WA for a pen of 12 Angus heifers averaging 345kg making 340c/kg or $1172/head
Other Mt Barker weaner sale results:
– 20 Angus steers, 352kg, JR & ME Rodgers made 334c/kg or $1177/head
– 19 Angus steers, 356kg, BJ Panizza Family Trust, Albany WA made 326c/kg or $1161/head
– 14 Angus steers, 370kg, SA & SH Smith, Albany WA made 325c/kg or $1203/head
– 18 Angus steers, 366kg, MI & DM Twentyman, Nanarup WA made 324c/kg or $1184/head
– 18 Angus steers, 340kg, Jeff Pyle & Co, Manypeaks WA made 317c/kg or $1078/head
– 17 Angus steers, 340kg, MJ Blyth & Co, Manypeaks WA made 316c/kg or $1074/head
– 14 Angus steers, 331kg, G & L Mills Family Trust made 310c/kg or $1026/head
Colac’s weaner sale saw Angus weaners in hot demand last week (18/01/16). China’s Fucheng Group had an unexpected and dramatic influence on the sale, purchasing 715 Angus females of the 1941 females yarded and a substantial run of medium weight Angus steers averaging $309c/kg or $980/head.
Charles Stewart and Co livestock agent Peter McConachy said Fucheng had an “outstanding” influence on the sale of Angus weaners. It was analysed they lifted the average for Angus females by $300/head.
Charles Stewart & Co director Jamie McConachy said “I have never seen an order like this, where someone can come in and bid on every pen of black cattle is unheard of”
With a strong gallery of buyers at Mt Pleasant weaner sale last Friday (15/01/16) Angus cattle strived ahead taking the top gongs for heavyweight steers $1860/head, weaner steers $1460/head and heifers $1070/head.
D &B Mann, Younghusband secured the heavyweight steer honours while LG Owen, Tungkillo sold 4 weaner steers to secure the top price of $1460/head with S Gordon, Mt Pleasant sold 3 Angus heifers for a top of $1070/head
Other Mt Pleasant results:
– 11 Angus steers, TAR & K Brown, Kyneton made $1310/head
– 14 Angus steers, DG Noblet, Mt Pleasant made $1280/head
Pakenham sale (20/01/16) saw hefty competition from backgrounders last week. Top price for steers was secured by N Thompson, Flinders Island with his 634kg Angus steers making $1550/head.
Other top quotes:
– 611kg Angus steers, M Forster, Flinders making $1530/head
– 394kg Angus steers, Oakbank Pastoral, Nulla Vale making $1245/head
– 306kg Angus heifers, Oakbank Pastoral, Nulla Vale making $930/head