Nominations are now being accepted for the next joining round of the Angus Sire Benchmarking program (ASBP) to produce the Cohort 7 progeny. This joining program will take place in October to November of 2016.
To compete step 1 of the nomination process CLICK HERE.
Approximately 40 bulls will be selected for the 2016 joining program with the aim to join each bull to at least 50 Angus cows by fixed time AI. The bull selection criteria will be based on genetic diversity, breeding values/indexes and their relationship to sires already used in previous Cohorts of the ASBP. Preference will also be given to early nominations.
Benefits of Bulls Entering the ASBP
• Involvement in Australia’s largest beef cattle progeny test program including large contemporary groups.
• Receive high accuracy EBVs, particularly for hard to measure traits such as net feed intake, abattoir carcase data and female reproduction.
• Receive progeny average values and sire ranking from within the ASBP, including traits such as MSA Index and MSA Marble Score.
• High density DNA profiles will be stored for current use (e.g. sire verifications, genomic predictions) and future research.
• Closer genetic linkage to the ASBP ensures research outcomes, particularly in the genomics area, will have more relevance to your herd.
• Step 1 – Nominate bull(s) via the online form before Friday August 5th 2016. To nominate please click here Preference will be given to early nominations.
• Step 2 – Breeders of successful nominations will be contacted (by mid-August 2016), provided with a Bull Owners agreement for signing, Veterinary and Health Declaration form and semen requested.
• Step 3 – Bull owners organise semen (100 straws) to be delivered to Agri-Gene, Wangaratta, VIC before September 5th 2016. All semen will undergo independent quality checks at this stage.
Bulls entering the program must be:
• Genetic Condition free (AM, NH, CA and DD).
• BVDV (aka Pestivirus) free by diagnostic test.
• Campylobacter (aka Vibriosis) and Leptospirosis free through vaccination (i.e. double vaccination plus annual booster), or laboratory diagnostic test via EMAI.
All bulls that enter the ASBP joining program will attract an entry fee of $2500 (plus GST) for Australian Bred Bulls and $4000 (plus GST) for overseas bred bulls.
If you have any questions in relation to the nomination process or the ASBP in general please contact Christian Duff, Angus Australia Strategic Projects Manager M: 0457 457 141 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org