The weaner sales in South Australia along with the most recent store cattle sales have seen Angus and Angus influenced cattle once again dominate the market. And if these results are anything to go by, it would suggest that January 2016 weaner sales will begin with a bang for producers.
The Naracoorte combined agent weaner sale (SA 10/12-11/12/15) saw vendors pocket almost double the money compared to what they made in 2014.
5256 steers were yarded on the Thursday, with the sale’s top dollars per head, $1,436 (337c/kg), paid for the tops of a line of 762 EU accredited Angus and SimAngus steers, offered by WV James & Son, Lucindale SA.
The entire drop of steers averaged $1,193.
The sale’s second top price of $1,400 ($328c/kg) was achieved by a pen of 22 Angus steers, 426kg on account of Glendoon Pastoral Co, Binnum SA. The 73 steers offered averaged $1,265.
The heifer offering on the Friday saw 3,035 heifers yarded.
Top price per head was made by a pen of 9 Angus cross Simmental heifers on account of Johnson Livestock, Biscuit Flat and Conmurra SA. The 385kg heifers were knocked down for $1,132.
Other Naracoorte results:
– 23 Angus steers, 382kg, LS Johnson & Son, Springbank SA, made $1,284 or 336c/kg
– 36 Angus steers, 287kg, WV James & Sons, Luncindale SA, made $1,007 or 351c/kg
– 270 Angus & Angus cross heifers, WV James & Sons, Luncindale SA averaged $936 or 315c/kg
Angus steers and heifers topped the Mt Gambier (SA 11/12/15) monthly store cattle sale.
A pen of 26, 16-18 month Angus steers, 467kg, on account of Kilgariff Cattle Co, made the sales top price at $1,470.
Heifers sold to $1,180 for the top draft of weaned Angus heifers from Mt Schanck Estate, 10-12 months old.
The Yea store cattle sale (VIC 11/12/15), was again a happy hunting ground for Angus producers, topping all 3 categories.
Steers made to a top of $1,500 for a pen of 16 Angus feeder steers offered by Paul Rice, Thornton VIC and another pen offered by J Christopher.
Angus heifers topped the heifer market, with a pen of 10 on account of the Hazelglen Partnership, Arthur’s Creek VIC, making $1,240.
The top price cows and calves were a pen of 10 Glenwood Park Angus stud cows with 10 autumn drop calves at foot, making $2,500. The cows have been AI’d back to a stud Angus bull.
Other Yea results:
– 142 Angus & Angus cross steers, Larnoo, Yea VIC, made $1,060-$1,430. Top pen 18 Angus steers, 427kg
– 10 Angus steers, Hazelglen Partnership, Arthur’s Creek VIC, made $1,400
– 6 first calf Angus heifers, Redwood Park, Shepparton VIC, made $1,890
Angus cows and calves again topped the Wodonga store sale (VIC 11/12/15), with 9 cows and calves, offered by Eldary Partnership, Boralma VIC, making $2,100.
Other Wodonga results:
– 49 Angus steers, 8-9 months, GL & DR Macaulay, Huon VIC, made $950-$1,205
– 11 Angus Steers, Tabletop Angus, Albury NSW, made $1,145
– 32 Angus cross Hereford steers, McKilroy, Dederang VIC, made $990-$1,125
– 24 Angus steers, TP & S Walsh, Trentham VIC, made $845-$1,075
Other results around Australia:
Roma (QLD 15/12/15):
– Angus cross steers, 220kg, J & P Ey, Roma QLD, made 380c/kg or $839
– Angus steers, 338kg, Jay Pastoral Co. Begonia St George, QLD, made 362c/kg or $1,226
– Angus heifers, 272kg, Samule Holdings, Jandowae QLD, made 338c/kg or $922
– Angus cross heifers, 233kg, J & P Ey, Roma QLD, made 334c/kg or $781
Pictured above: Some of the steers offered by WV James & Son at the Naracoorte combined agent weaner sale. Image courtsey of Catherine Miller – Stock Journal