Hair is the most common form of sample used when submitting DNA to Angus Australia, and is Angus Australia’s preferred sample type.
It is important to note that the DNA is not contained in the hair shaft itself, but rather in the follicle or root bulb. It is vital that the root bulb is present in the hair sample as this is the part of the sample from which the DNA will be extracted.
Tail hair sampling is the most widely used method of the DNA sampling techniques due to the need
for minimal restraint of the animal and the simple non-invasive nature of the technique. Hair has several advantages over other types of DNA samples including a lower cost of sample collection and easier long term storage of samples at room temperature.
It is recommended that animals are at least 60 days of age (2 months) before hair samples are collected as the hair follicles are small and still developing.
To collect tail hairs for DNA testing;
1. Arrange sample collection kits and the DNA Test Request form available from Angus Australia.
2. Write on the card the registered animals ID
3. Identify a pencil thick clump of clean, dry hair from the switch of the tail.
4. In a single motion pull against the grain of the tail to remove the tail hair, ensuring follicles are present on the hair removed.
5. Attach the hair to the card with the sticker provided. Ensuring all edges are sealed and the follicles are in contact with the adhesive sticker.
6. Using scissors cut the excess hair off, ensuring no hair hangs over the edge of the card.
7. Store in a cool, dry place before sending to Angus Australia with the DNA test request form.
If sending a large number of samples it is important to order or group them, to aid in the quality control processes undertaken at Angus Australia prior to shipping to the lab.
The impact of dirt, manure or even water on the quality of your DNA sample is so significant that if a clean and dry sample cannot be taken then sampling should be postponed or measures put in place to resolve the issue.
Insufficient hair follicles
Follicles cut off
Insufficient hair follicles / not tail hair
Wet and dirty