In January 1824, 8 black cattle were unloaded at the Hobart Town docks. They had arrived from Fife, Scotland, and had travelled several months to arrive in Australia under the watchful eye of James Foster.
The Aberdeen-Angus Herd Book Society was founded in Brisbane on the twelfth day of August 1918, by a group of Queenslanders, George Clarke from East Talgai, Macintosh Charles from the Gootchie Stud and RS Maynard.
While Aberdeen-Angus cattle were given the title of the poor mans breed in the first quarter century of the society, the evident increase of Angus cattle after World War II assisted in changing this stigma.
With the beginnings of the Angus Herd Improvement Group and technologies forging forward, this quarter of the century really marked the push of the development of the marketing and breed development of the breed.
The final quarter of the history of Angus Australia has brought forth some important additions to the society, which assisted in establishing it to what it has become today, as Angus Australia has greatly increased its involvement in recent years in research and development (R&D) activities.