Hair: Collection & Storage Guidelines
- Obtain accepted sample collection kits and the DNA Test Request form available from Angus Australia.
- Write on the card the registered animals ID
- Identify a pencil thick clump of clean, dry hair from the switch of the tail (approx 40 hairs)
- In a single motion, pull against the grain of the tail to remove the tail hair, ensuring follicles are present on the hair removed.
- Attach the hair to the card with the sticker provided by removing the white backing paper.
- Ensure all edges are sealed and the follicles are in contact with the adhesive sticker.
- Using scissors, cut the excess hair off, ensuring no hair hangs over the edge of the card.
- Store in a cool, dry place before sending to Angus Australia with the DNA test request form.
If sending a large number of samples it is important to order or group them, to aid in the quality control processes undertaken at Angus Australia, prior to shipping to the lab.
Storage on farm:
- Ensure sample is clean, dry and free of excess dirt or faecal material
- Store in an envelope (avoid storage in plastic)
- Store in a cool, dry, dark place
- Ensure the location has a stable temperature throughout the storage period
- Recommended storage up to 5 years only
- Ideally, hair samples would be in the same order as what appears on the DNA Test Request form. This is best achieved by forming ordered bundles of 10-20 tests each, using rubber bands.
- When posting the samples, a tough bag is recommended, however if there are only a few samples (1-5 samples), postage via an envelope is acceptable.